TOPIC: DEPRESSION: ORIGIN, CAUSES, AND REMEDY – PART 2
by: Isaac O. Agbenla
Bible TEXT: ISAIAH 61:3
Before I highlight some evidence of depression, it is important to state that depression is not a problem of attitude/character flaws but of spiritual influence on the mind. There is a force that is influencing the attitude of those who are depressed. The evil spirit would study their temperament and become familiar with their weaknesses and reactions to situations. It knew the moment they are vulnerable to attack and pressures. It then uses those information to attack their personality through their minds.
For example, Mr. A had an argument with the wife and this argument leads to malice that lasted more than a week. Mrs. A becomes bitter and sad because of what Mr A did to her. She continued to think about all that had happened and the sorrow continued to escalate. The spirit of depression takes advantage of the unresolved misunderstanding to convince her that the husband doesn’t love her as professed. The same spirit makes her see reasons why she is not worth the respect of the husband. This spirit of depression pressurizes her not to reconcile but teach her husband a lesson and she continues to live in sadness and feel guilty that she is not a good or worthy wife. Thereafter, the spirit reminds her of her bad past, wasted years and sexual molestations she has suffered that made her end up with that particular man. This is a typical example of how the spirit of depression holds its victim in bondage systematically.
*EVIDENCES OF DEPRESSION*
1. Suicidal thought
2. Continuous sadness
5. Inability to forgive yourself for past errors
6. Personality disorder
Complains about self
9. Holding grudges
10. Unending Sorrow
11. Withdrawing from people
12. Heaviness in the mind
13. Loss of strength and vitality to excessive thinking.
No matter how happy a depressed person may be now, depression will always return to them when they are alone if they don’t become knowledgeable on how to resist the spirit of depression or failure to deal with the main cause of that depression. This can, therefore, make the victory of a depressed person temporal when they around people because internal battles resume when they are alone except they have been delivered totally.
In Prov. 14: 13, the bible says:
“Even in laughter the heart (of a depressed person) is sorrowful, and the end of that happiness is depression”.
It means a depressed person may be laughing now to camouflage but there is the sorrow within the smile. So, total deliverance from depression is the antidote not covering up the internal wound. Deliverance doesn’t mean you have to visit anywhere but personal resistance. We would talk more about how to be delivered soon.
*CAUSES OF DEPRESSION*
1./Manifold Temptations: 1 Pet. 1:6
2. Negative words or news: Phil. 2:26
3. Abuse of trust:
Maltreatment by husband, wife, boss, etc
4. As a result of shame suffered because of past or present sin.
5. Reproach, rejection, resentment and
6. continuous sorrow
7. Some parents are depressed because of sorrow caused by their children- Prov. 10:1
8. Disobedience to godly instruction: Prov. 14:12-14
*REMEDY TO DEPRESSION*
1. Accept that it is spirit and it is real
2. You must be born again genuinely
3. Pray for the comfort of the Holy Spirit: Job 9:27 “ if I say, I will forget my complaint, I will leave off my heaviness (depression) and COMFORT MYSELF”. Job tried to comfort himself but he failed. Holy Spirit is our great comforter.
4. Pray for the Garment of praise instead of the spirit of heaviness: Isaiah 61:3. God promised us a garment of praise that will turn our sorrow and mourning to joy. When you receive that garment of praise, it naturally terminates all forms of sorrow and sadness.
5. Be determined not to allow depression again: 2 Cor. 2:1
6. Be acquainted with the word of God- John 8:31-32
Thanks for reading