Topic: Basic Steps On How To Break Away From Curses Mentality
By Isaac Oluwaseun Agbenla
1. The way we think as man is influenced by what you hear and what you believe. Many people don’t give proper attention to what enters their minds because they are ignorant that their mind functions based on what it receives from the outside as information.
The Bible says “Guard your heart will all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life” -Prov.4:23.
This is the secret to maintaining the right mindset. If you don’t want to think wrong in life, then don’t feed your mind with wrong messages. In fact, the church you are attending, and the content of the message influences your thought life. If your Church portrays every problem as a satanic attack, that is the way you will begin to reason. How do you deal with such a situation? Download the right messages online and get the right Christian books, read them to change your negatively programmed mind.
2) *PERSONAL life of sacrifice to God* (Rom.12:1). When we live against God’s will for our lives, we predispose ourselves to the attack of the enemy . Dwelling in sin weakens the hedge of fire around us. It allows a crack on your wall.
The main danger of sin is that it destroys faith. Our actions will either attract or repel blessings. We must make sure we live a sacrificial life so that our lives will make much meaning at the end of our journey in life.
We cannot be living in disobedience to God and expect cover for our wrongdoings. Living for God is for our benefit. When I look critically wherever I am, there are always people who would have enjoyed better if they hadn’t taken wrong decisions at some stages of their life.
3) *Humble yourself in repentance* – Repentance from every known sin is the best way to avert God’s punishment. Making restitution with those you have offended is essential for the total cancellation of the evil pronouncement. It will help you to think about peace and not a curse. The thought that someone is cursing you for the evil you have done is enough to make the devil put you in bondage. But when you make peace with whoever you offend, the thought of curse will be broken knowing fully well that you have been forgiven. Arrogance will hinder the grace of God from having an effect on the life of a man. If you know where you have wrong God or man, just repent and do restitution.
God gives grace to the humble in the heart but resists the proud. Don’t justify your wrong action. 2 Kings 22:19. If you have stayed with your uncle or aunt and you stole something that provokes curse, just make right what you have done wrong without procrastination. You may not have it, just confess the act, it may even be on the phone. Do it and be free from that bondage of the mind. Most importantly, if the Holy Spirit is constantly reminding you of it.
4) *Return stolen accursed items under your roof: To overcome the curse, we must do away from anything that dishonors God in our house. Any accursed thing wrongly or ignorantly acquired must be taken out of our house. Looking at the story of Achan,*until the children of Israel took away from their camp the accursed thing, they didn’t enjoy God’s support*. Achan returned it.
*If a curse has been placed because of what you stole, call the person to repent or send someone to the individual to appease the person of the wrong you have done. Whenever Holy Spirit reminds you of pending restitution, respond promptly to it and make amendments*.
5) *Watch your confession* Many placed curse upon themselves through the wrong proclamation. Such as am crazy, mad, my brother, things are hard, I am tired of this life, I no go better for you, etc, you are mad, etc. Remember it is written, as you have said in my ears, so I will do unto you-Num.14:28.
6) *Renounce and resist it*-James 4:7 says;
*Submit therefore yourself unto God, resist the devil and he shall flee away from you*
Many of us don’t understand our authority in Christ Jesus. The bible says resist the devil but today, we see many believers begging God to resist the devil for them and some begging devil to leave them.
Listen, God won’t resist the devil for you. No matter the loudness of the cry, it’s a wrong prayer to say, *father, resist or destroy every enemy in my life*. That may be different from your theology but it is true, rather say *father, I command in the name of Jesus, that so and so be destroyed* God won’t do he ask you to do for your friend. That is why nothing happens after much praying in Church. We are praying wrongly.
We haven’t even make use of the name of Jesus enough in our individual lives let alone helping others through the name. Devil obeys a genuine Christian when the name of Jesus is used. Many people usually complain it doesn’t work like that but I know no demon can survive the power in the name and blood of Jesus.
When Jesus sent the disciples two by two, they didn’t return to complain it doesn’t work but were joyful that even devils obeyed them-Luke 10:17.
It is indeed a challenge to us in this generation when you have Christians and disciples being molested and tormented by the demons. It is an error.
Listen, even though the bible says, we can resist the devil and he will flee away from us, it will take a genuine born again and obedient Christian to experience this supernatural intervention.
In Acts 19:15, the bible says;
*And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus, I know and Paul I know; but who are ye?*
We see from the story of the sons of Sceva in Acts 19, they were sons of the prophet but were not born again. Many people are churchgoers or even pastors’ children but are not born again.
*Demons don’t obey us because of the size of our bible neither because of our title in church, they only obey those who called upon the name of the Lord from a pure heart*.
We see that evil spirit answered that it knows Jesus and Paul but it doesn’t know the sons of Sceva. This is applicable to many people today who claim to be using the name of Jesus against demons and not working for them. The first thing to do is self-examination to see if we are in the faith.
It is also important to note that if you are still living in secret sin, demons won’t obey you. The secret things are not hidden to the spirits.
7. Pray and Meditate more on the word of God: 1 Thess. 5:17, 1 Peter. 2:2, Acts 20:32, John 17:17, Rom. 12:2, Joshua 1:8
Thanks for reading
Oluwaseun Isaac Agbenla