OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL.
DATE: WEDNESDAY 30TH JANUARY 2019.
THEME: CARE FOR THE NEEDY.
“He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto The LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.” Proverbs 19:17
BIBLE READING: James 2:14-17
14. What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15. If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16. And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17. Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
A. Caring for The Needy is an issue that is very dear to The Heart of The Almighty God.
1. In Deuteronomy 15:11, He reveals His Mindset to us concerning the poor:
2. “For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.”
3. Because God is sovereign, it is needless to ask why there should be poor people in the land, and it is equally unwarranted to query Him as to why He did not put an end to poverty.
4. The good thing is that God has made provision for the needy in His infallible word.
5. It is left for us to obey His Commands and be blessed in return.
6. Someone is in need when he or she lacks what matters for his or her existence, and we are commanded to meet such needs if we are in a position to do so.
7. Without any form of ambiguity, Today’s Memory Verse reaffirms God’s Concern for the needy, and this is further established by The Holy Spirit in Today’s Bible Text.
8. Through these verses, caring for The Needy is established as a work of faith.
9. In other words, we are not people of faith if we are not mindful of the condition of the needy in our midst.
B. In Matthew 15:32-38, Our Lord Jesus Christ demonstrated His care for the needy when after some days of spiritual retreat, He said to His Disciples:
1. “…I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.” Matthew 15:32
2. In this scripture, we see that it was not just a situation of the people not having money to buy food but also that there was no food to buy.
3. This shows that money can be of no use when what you need is not available to buy.
4. We should therefore learn that the needy are not just those who don’t have food, clothes or money; even “rich people” among us can be in serious need of things that money cannot buy.
5. Naaman had money, but the healing that he needed could not be purchased.
6. Thanks be to God of Israel who met that need in his life through His Prophet, Elisha (2 Kings 5:10-14).
7. 2 Kings 5:10-14 And Elisha sent a messenger to him, saying, “Go and wash in the Jordan seven times, and your flesh shall be restored to you, and you shall be clean.”
8. But Naaman became furious, and went away and said, “Indeed, I said to myself, ‘He will surely come out to me, and stand and call on the name of the Lord his God, and wave his hand over the place, and heal the leprosy.’ Are not the Abanah and the Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be clean?” So he turned and went away in a rage.
9. And his servants came near and spoke to him, and said, “My father, if the prophet had told you to do something great, would you not have done it? How much more then, when he says to you, ‘Wash, and be clean’?”
10. So he went down and dipped seven times in the Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God; and his flesh was restored like the flesh of a little child, and he was clean.
C. God also used Elisha to meet the needs of the Shunammite woman, whose money could not conquer her barrenness .
1. 2 Kings 4:8-17 ELISHA DECREE A SON FOR THE BARREN SHUNSMMITE WOMAN.
2. Now it happened one day that Elisha went to Shunem, where there was a notable woman, and she persuaded him to eat some food. So it was, as often as he passed by, he would turn in there to eat some food.
3. And she said to her husband, “Look now, I know that this is a holy man of God, who passes by us regularly. Please, let us make a small upper room on the wall; and let us put a bed for him there, and a table and a chair and a lampstand; so it will be, whenever he comes to us, he can turn in there.”
4. And it happened one day that he came there, and he turned in to the upper room and lay down there. Then he said to Gehazi his servant, “Call this Shunammite woman.” When he had called her, she stood before him. And he said to him, “Say now to her, ‘Look, you have been concerned for us with all this care. What can I do for you? Do you want me to speak on your behalf to the king or to the commander of the army?’ ”
5. She answered, “I dwell among my own people.”
6. So he said, “What then is to be done for her?” And Gehazi answered, “Actually, she has no son, and her husband is old.”
7. So he said, “Call her.” When he had called her, she stood in the doorway. Then he said, “About this time next year you shall embrace a son.”
8. And she said, “No, my lord. Man of God, do not lie to your maidservant!”
9. But the woman conceived, and bore a son when the appointed time had come, of which Elisha had told her.
10. I pray for you that The Almighty God will take care of your needs today in Jesus’ Name In Jesus’ Name. 🙏Amen! .
Father, Please equip me with Your Divine Blessings so that I can take care of the needs of The Needy in my community on Your Behalf In Jesus’ Name. 🙏Amen! .
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Luke 9, Isaiah 28:14-29,
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE
HYMN: LET OTHERS SEE JESUS IN YOU
1. While passing thro’ this world of sin,
and others your life shall view,
Be clean and pure without, within;
Let others see Jesus in you.
Let others see Jesus in you,
Let others see Jesus in you.
Keep telling the story, be faithful and true;
Let others see Jesus in you.
2. Your life’s a book before their eyes,
They’re reading it thro’ and thro’
Say, does it point them to the skis,
Do others see Jesus in you? Chorus:
3. Then live for Christ both day and night,
Be faithful, be brave and true,
and lead the lost to life and Christ.
Let others see Jesus in you. Chorus:
EMMANUEL=GOD WITH US!